In anticipation of our Live-Like-a-Local in Provence tour research trip, I happened upon a blog article entitled A Taste of Provence by a young woman whose descriptions and images of things she’d eaten really inspired me. Not so long ago, I’d been invited to RedBird Farm for a fireside evening when the owner, who is a fabulous host, cooked the most fabulous cauliflower soup which she served with an arugula pesto… so when I saw cauliflower soup in the blog article I was inspired to fuse the RedBird soup with the Provencial toppings and it was fabulous! I LOVE TRUFFLES!!!
REDBIRD CAULIFLOWER SOUP DRIZZLED WITH TRUFFLE INFUSED OLIVE OIL
- 2 TBS regular olive oil
- 1 TBS truffle infused olive oil (garnish)
- 1 cup diced sweet yellow onion
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 1/2 head of cauliflower, cored and chopped
- 2 large potatoes, cubed
- 5 cups homemade chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup half & half
- 1/4 cup creme fraiche (or sour cream)
- 1 cup grated Gruyere or Comte cheese
- snipped chives (garnish)
- dash of ground cayenne pepper (garnish)
- salt & pepper to taste
- Heat the oil, soften the onions.
- Add the garlic for a minute or two.
- Add the potatoes & cauliflower, cook for five minutes.
- Add the broth and bring to a boil. Simmer for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked.
- Stir in creme fraiche, half & half and cheese.
- Serve garnished with cayenne, chives and truffle oil.